Elle and Belle's Excellent Adventures (... and Izzie's too)

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Pumpkin Patch

This is technically my second Halloween, but honestly on Oct. 31 I will be celebrating my first trick-or-treating holiday. Maman, as always, is starting the party early. A few Saturdays ago, we packed up the van and drove down to the Giant Pumpkin over in Maugerville where we found a huge pumpkin patch and a petting zoo. Although my wonderful sister was more intrigued by the animals, I thought the pumpkins were the highlight of my trip. They were everywhere. I could climb up on them, walk around them, try and pick them up and hide behind them.
Elle and I were tasked with the enviable duty of picking three pumpkins to decorate our front porch with. Now this isn't easy. If they are too big, they would look funny, similarly, if they are too small, then what's really the point? We had to make sure they weren't dented, didn't have unsightly markings on them. And most importantly, I, in particular, wanted to make sure each giant gourd looked like it embodied the spirit of the season with a big smile. If I looked at the pumpkin and it didn't look happy, it was tossed aside. Elle was far less picky than I when it came to picking our prized pumpkins, she just wanted to go and feed the horses again. She and I definitely didn't have our priorities aligned on that day. In the end, I think we were able to strike an amicable compromise, especially because we all know before Oct. 31, maman is going to break down and take us to find even more pumpkins.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home