Elle and Belle's Excellent Adventures (... and Izzie's too)

Monday, January 16, 2006

Swimming lessons

I either just got back from the world's biggest bathtub or I just had my first swimming lesson that papa has been relentlessly talking about for the last month. After I woke up from my nap, papa whisked me away in the car to an unknown location. At first I thought something shady was going to happen, perhaps the exchange some contraband Cheerios. Instead we arrived at the Fredericton YMCA, a very un-shady location. Running through the parking lot as we were pelted with freezing rain, I was starting to question papa's sanity for bringing me outside on such a miserable day.
We got inside and of course there were people to flirt with, so I went into action. We soon got changed into our swim suits and made our way to the pool. There were supposed to be a few other babies there yesterday, but their parents stayed home, silly them. Our instructor Christine had papa bring me into the pool, truth be told, I wasn't impressed with the pool at first, the temperature is drastically below my tub and grand-papa's pool. After few shivers, I was accustomed to the water. And then the funniest thing happened, papa had to sing in public with the swim teacher. I could not make this up even if I tried, papa sang the Hokey-Pokey song and "If you're happy and you know it". That was alone worth the price of admission.
Although I greeted most of the tasks I was handed with a fair bit of trepidation, I soon mastered all that was asked of me. Papa and I did laps of the shallow end while I was swimming on my stomach and we even a few laps with me on my back. I will admit this now, when it comes to the backstroke, I am no Mark Tewksbury circa Barcelona Olympics 1992. However, I did finally tackle an assignment that I was weary of to start, so papa and I were both happy.
Before I knew it, 30 minutes had passed and papa and I were dodging the driving rain again. I'm a convert to the idea of the swimming pool and I can't wait until next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home